Not always easy to make a puff pastry … with this quick puff pastry recipe, also called Scottish puff pastry, this recipe becomes simple to make and you will be able to make this dough as easily as a simple pie dough !
Quick puff pastry
- 320 g cake flour
- 7 g salt
- 16 cl water cold
- 250 g butter
- Mix the flour and the salt together. Add the butter cut into medium sized pieces, then mix with your hands while crushing the pieces of butter with your fingers.
- Do not mix too much to keep pieces of butter. Add the cold water and mix by hand to obtain a fairly firm and homogeneous paste.
- Lightly flour the work surface and pour the dough. Form a square then spread it out gradually using a rolling pin.
- You should get a strip of dough 3 times longer than wide and about 1 cm thick.
- Fold the dough in 3, bringing one end towards the center, then the other end over it.
- Turn the quick puff pastry a quarter of a turn to have the fold on your right. Dust with flour if necessary, then spread the dough out again.
- Spread out the puff pastry gradually without crushing it too much in order to preserve a successive layer of dough and butter. Fold again in 3.
- Put the puff pastry in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes so that the butter becomes firmer and does not mix with the dough.
- Resume the puff pastry making process after cooling and place the fold of the puff pastry on the right in order to roll it out again.
- Fold the quick puff pastry in three and repeat this step again before putting the puff pastry in the refrigerator again for about 20 minutes.
- Spread out the puff pastry one last time after cooling, always starting with the fold on the right. In total we will have folded the puff pastry between 3 to 5 times.
- Wrap the quick puff pastry in cling film and put it in the refrigerator for half a day before use.
The video is in French, but you can see the English subtitles.Remember to enable them in the YouTube settings.