The lemon macaroons, the refinement of these delicious petit fours, both melting and subtle, garnished with a delicious lemon cream full of flavors, will conquer the least greedy. discover this lemon macaroon recipe and let yourself be guided …
- 150 g egg whites
- 115 g caster sugar
- 160 g ground almonds
- 240 g icing sugar
- yellow food coloring preferably powder
Lemon curd :
- 20 cl lemon juice
- 130 g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 15 g cornflour
- 100 g butter
- For the lemon macaroons recipe, the weighings must be very precise, it is very important. The egg whites should be at room temperature and if possible kept in the refrigerator for 2 or 3 days beforehand.
- The almond powder must be sieved and then weighed to have the exact weight.
- Start by whisking the egg whites at low speed in the bowl of the electric mixer to incorporate as little air as possible.
- When the egg whites begin to form a foam on top, add half of the caster sugar, then start whipping them again at low speed with a mixer.
- Continue until the egg whites form a thick peak on the whisk. This can take around 10 to 15 minutes. When the expected goal is reached, add the rest of sugar.
- Then continue whipping the egg whites with an electric mixer, increasing the speed, and continue until the sugar is completely melted.
- When the egg whites are completely firm and shiny, gradually add and mix the yellow dye until you get a fairly bright color. Pour everything into a container.
- In another container, pour the almond powder, sift the icing sugar over it and mix the whole.
- Pour these dry ingredients on the colored egg whites, then mix everything using a spatula, lifting the mass. We must obtain a very homogeneous mixture.
- Now it’s the “macaronage” stage, which consists of crushing the preparation with a pastry scraper to soften it.
- When the mixture becomes shiny and it is possible to form a ribbon, then the “macaronage” stage is completed.
- Arrange the macaroons on a baking sheet covered with a sheet of greaseproof paper, using a pastry bag fitted with a medium size tip.
- Finally, hit slightly the baking sheet 2 to 3 times on your work area to expel the air from the macaroon shells. Let the macaroons rest for 15 minutes at room temperature.
- After resting, cook the macaroons in an oven preheated to 160 ° C, for 12 to 15 minutes while monitoring the cooking regularly.
- At the exit of the oven, pour a bit of water between the baking sheet and the greaseproof paper, wait 30 seconds then remove the macaroon shells and put them aside on a plate.
- For the lemon cream, start by heating the lemon juice. In a container, put the yolks and the whole eggs, add the sugar and mix everything with a whisk.
- Add the cornstarch and mix. Pour the boiling lemon juice while stirring and transfer everything into the pan. Cook the lemon cream until the first bubbles then stop cooking.
- Once the cream is warm, incorporate the butter and mix everything to finish the lemon cream. Cover it with cling film and let cool it in the refrigerator.
- Finally, assemble the lemon macaroons shells in pairs with some lemon cream in between.
The video is in French, but you can see the English subtitles.Remember to enable them in the YouTube settings.