The chocolate sponge cake is one of the bases of pastry. It is found in many cakes like chocolate charlotte or the black forest. I propose you to discover this chocolate sponge recipe, easy and quick to make .
Chocolate sponge cake
- 22 cm diameter sponge mold
- 4 eggs
- 125 g caster sugar
- 80 g cake flour
- 30 g cornflour
- 25 g unsweetened cocoa powder
- Butter a 22cm diameter non-stick baking pan for sponge cake, that you also flour if the baking pan is getting old.
- Start by breaking the eggs in saucepan, add the caster sugar. Unlike the plain sponge cake where we used the hot method, here we are going to use the cold method.
- Whisk the mixture. You should see the mixture turning white and gaining volume. After around 5 min, we should obtain a ribbon-like consistency when we raise the whisk.
- In a bowl, sieve the flour, the cornflour and the cocoa powder.
- Pour half of the previously made mixture on the beaten egg whites. Mix softly with a wooden spatula going all the way down to the bottom of the tank and turning the tank at the same time. Add the rest of the mixture, and mix until complete blending.
- Pour the mixture into the baking pan.
- Bake the chocolate sponge cake for 20 minutes in a 180 °C preheated oven, while keeping an eye on the baking process.
- When the chocolate sponge cake is out, unmould it on a metal grid and leave it to rest. After about 10 minutes, flip the sponge cake to avoid the creation of a hollow and to ensure that it stays straight.
The video is in French, but you can see the English subtitles.Remember to enable them in the YouTube settings.