The chocolate charlotte cake is a dessert of choice and one of the most famous. In this chocolate charlotte cake recipe I suggest you decorate your chocolate mousse with crushed nougatine, a pure delight !
Chocolate charlotte cake
- Dessert circle 22 cm in diameter and 4.5 cm in height
Chocolate mousse :
- 4 eggs
- 170 g caster sugar
- 100 g dark chocolate 64% cocoa
- 27 g unsweetened cocoa powder
- 65 g butter
- 250 g whipping cream
- 20 cl water
- Beforehand, make a 20 cm diameter chocolate sponge cake, a strip of spoon cookie and nougatine.
- For the chocolate syrup, pour the cocoa powder into boiling water, add the caster sugar and mix with a whisk. Bring this syrup to the boil then let it cool.
- For the chocolate mousse, pour the cold liquid cream into the bowl of the mixer, which is also cold, then start to mix it using the whisk, accelerating gradually.
- When the whipped cream is firm, stop the mixer. It is important to monitor the consistency of the cream to avoid making butter. Put the whipped cream in the fridge.
- Prepare a 22 cm diameter and 5 cm high pastry ring. Cut one or two 3.5 cm high strips of spoon cookie.
- Position the biscuit strips inside the ring against the side, tightening them a little so that they stay still and the joints are not visible.
- Cut the chocolate sponge cake in two or three using a saw knife to obtain two 1 cm thick sponge discs. Place a first disc at bottom of the ring.
- Let’s continue the chocolate mousse. Melt the dark chocolate in a double boiler, or gradually in the microwave on low power.
- Melt the butter and pour it over the melted chocolate. Add the cocoa powder and mix everything using a whisk. Leave this mixture aside for the moment.
- Break the eggs in the mixer bowl, add the caster sugar and mix vigorously with the whisk for several minutes. The mixture will increase in volume and whiten.
- Stop the beater and pour this preparation into the chocolate and cocoa mixture. Gently mix with a whisk to keep the volume.
- Finish by incorporating the whipped cream in two steps, always mixing gently with the whisk. The chocolate mousse is finished.
- Take your ring with the cookie, then soak the chocolate sponge cake at the bottom with the chocolate syrup which has cooled using a brush. Do not soak the spoon cookie.
- Spread a first layer of chocolate mousse about 1 cm thick in your ring. Scatter the crushed nougatine (optional) over the chocolate mousse.
- Soak a second disc of chocolate sponge cake with chocolate syrup, on one side to start. Place the sponge cake on the chocolate mousse, soaked side under and press lightly.
- Now soak the top of the sponge cake with chocolate syrup. Garnish the rest of the circle with chocolate mousse starting at the edges, then smooth the top using a palette knife.
- Place the chocolate charlotte cake in the freezer for 2 to 3 hours so that the outside is frozen to ease the removal of the ring.
- After freezing, warm the ring with your hands then remove the ring cleanly upwards. Sprinkle the top with unsweetened cocoa powder.
- For decoration, you can use decorations that you have made with nougatine, or give free rein to your imagination.
The video is in French, but you can see the English subtitles.Remember to enable them in the YouTube settings.