This caramel apple walnut pie recipe is original and fairly simple to make. The combination of apples and walnuts all complemented with a salted butter caramel is a gem that should not be missed !
Caramel Apple Walnut Pie
- 26 cm diameter pie dish
- 300 g shortbread dough (see the shortbread dough recipe)
- 4 apples
- 30 g butter
- 50 g brown sugar
- 200 g walnut
- 30 g salted butter
- 150 g caster sugar
- 20 cl whole liquid cream
- For this caramel apple walnut pie, I use a 26 cm diameter metal ring that we need to grease with a piece of butter.
- Knead the dough, then roll out the dough with a rolling pin to obtain a thickness of 3 mm and a surface wide enough. Don’t forget to flour the working area.
- Flour the top of the dough before winding it around the rolling pin and place it softly on the metal ring.
- Push the dough to the bottom, and make an 1 cm edge all around by pressing the dough onto the metal ring.
- With a rolling pin, remove the surplus of dough.
- Straighten the edge by pinching the dough with your fingers against the metal ring. Slide your nail all around to ease the unmoulding after the baking.
- Place the dough in a refrigerator for about 1 hour, then cover the dough with a baking sheet then filling it with ceramic balls or peas.
- Bake the pie for 15 min in a 200°C preheated oven.
- Peel 3 apples, remove the center, then cut them in pieces not too small.
- Grind the nuts in a container.
- Melt the butter in a pan, add the apple pieces and the brown sugar. Mix everything and let it cook for 5 min. After, remove from the heat source and leave it aside.
- In a pan, pour the liquid cream, add the salted butter and boil the whole. Then leave it aside.
- Now for the caramel, heat a pan, add some sugar and melt it and take some color. Keep heating the sugar until all of it is melted.
- Pour the cream still hot on the caramel while whisking.
- Away from the heating source, add the ground nuts, mix with a spatula before pouring the mixture on the apples. Then, mix softly.
- Fill the baked dough, make a rose on the top of the pie with the last cut apple.
- Finish by baking the caramel apple walnut pie in a 180°C oven for 20 min. After, place the pie on a metal grid in order to have an efficient cooling.
The video is in French, but you can see the English subtitles.Remember to enable them in the YouTube settings.