Almond sponge cake called "Joconde" is widely used in baking. It is found in one of the recipes that made the heyday of the French pastry cooks, it is the "Opera". Very compact in appearance and in the form of a cookie sheet and the Joconde cookie is used while being very soaked.
Almond sponge cake – The Joconde
- 150 g ground almonds
- 150 g icing sugar
- 40 g cake flour
- 4 eggs
- 4 egg whites
- 25 g caster sugar
- In the mixer bowl, pour the almond powder, then add the icing sugar and flour.
- Crack 2 eggs on top and start mixing gently with a whisk for about 15 seconds.
- Add the 2 remaining eggs one by one, making sure to mix vigorously each time for 2 to 3 minutes.
- When the last egg is added, continue mixing for 6 to 8 minutes so that the preparation expands. Then pour everything in a container.
- Clean the mixer bowl and the whisk, pour the egg whites and start to mix them with the whisk, then when it starts to form a foam on top, add the caster sugar gradually.
- After a few minutes, the egg whites have taken shape and are firm. So stop your beater.
- Incorporate the egg whites in the mixture containing almond powder, in two steps while gently mixing with a spatula.
- Rotate your container at the same time as you mix and stop when the preparation is homogeneous and the whites are well mixed.
- Spread almond sponge cake on a 40 cm by 30 cm baking sheet covered with a sheet of greaseproof paper. This recipe allows you to make 2 sheets of Joconde cookie.
- To finish, bake almond sponge cake for 8 to 10 minutes in an oven preheated to 210 ° C, while monitoring the baking procees regularly.
- After baking, let almond sponge cake cool on a wire rack, then turn it over to remove the baking sheet and use this cookie in your recipes.
The video is in French, but you can see the English subtitles.Remember to enable them in the YouTube settings.